Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Fencing, Clubbing In Mayfair and Battersea Spa Visit

A perk of living in London is that there's never a shortage of new things to do. This weekend I took a 4 hour beginners fencing class. Just to try it out. Grant fences three times a week and he loves it. 

It was on a Friday night and I wasn't keen on going straight from work and getting home late. However the time just flew. I fenced and learnt the rules and etiquette. 

Decked out in the suit, fencing mask, glove and foil in hand, I mastered at the very least, the en garde position. (Even Grant complimented when I demonstrated at home.)

Fencing got me in a killer mode. Stab stab stab! Too bad I'm short. And my opponent was tall and left handed. He jabbed me a few times in the thigh, misjudging the target area. The disadvantages of a beginner. I felt like I was fencing with a toothpick!

Fencing is a social sport. I see how it's easy to get to know people and make friends.

The next morning, I went to Zumba, had dim sum (yum cha) with Grant and went clubbing in Mayfair. It was a huge girls night out, organised by my friend who had so many girls on the guest list, the club gave us free bottles of vodka. However being in Mayfair, a swanky area of London, the cost of drinks is ridiculous. Service charge is obligatory, even if you bought from the bar. Two alcoholic drinks cost £27 (AUD 40!) My friend said that's like buying a round of drinks for eight in Scotland.

We danced until the club closed at 3am.

I slept at 5am and the sun woke me up at 9am. It was sunny so I did a bit of reading in my garden, blooming with daffodils.

In the late afternoon my girlfriend organised a spa trip in Battersea. It's in the Rafayel hotel by the river. I felt sleep deprived and stressed trying to get there because it was'nt close to any train stations and I was rushing to make the pedicure appointment. I worked out a tube/bus route along the way and arrived REALLY needing to be pampered. It all started with a fluffy robe and a cup of tea...

My girlfriend and I had the most amazing deluxe pedicure including a parrafin wax treatment. We had more tea and cake in the observatory room.

The sun was coming down and it was only us in the spa. We hit the hydrotherapy pool, sauna, steam room and a plunge in the swimming pool. Felt so relaxed afterwards, staying until the spa closed.

After a late night out dancing, we needed that spa visit! Pure bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)