Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Pont Du Gard

I felt energetic the afternoon of arriving in Vers so I borrowed one of the bikes at the B&B. This was the one I picked-small, beat up but reliable. And the kitties loved playing with it too! 

And with my little bike, I was a free spirit. In flip flops. The Pont Du Gard was only 6 kms away from Vers. I left the village, hit the highway and turned into a giant carpark. The Pont Du Gard was not far beyond it. 

It was built by the Romans 2,000 years ago. A magnificent acquaduct carrying water throughout the area and there are still remains of water works in Vers. I passed a few seemingly hidden places on the bike and water is still running! Probably not from the Pont du Gard but it's still so quaint. 

The Pont Du Gard is huge and attracts millions every year. I approached what I'd been waiting to see all this time, from plane, to bus and bike. 

And this is it. In the splendour of the summer, I was finally here. I came back the second day and brought my togs.

Can you believe it? I'm swimming *in* the Pont Du Gard. With other holidaymakers, beholding the spectacle of the aquaduct while swimming underneath it. I did'nt hear a single English conversation around me. The sky was raging blue and the air was warm. It was utterly glorious.

Afterwards I felt so rejuvenated, I wanted to continue riding until the sun went down. So after changing at home, I hit the road again and rode out of Vers and to Castillon Du Gard. A castle village and although it would have been lovely to see the castle, it was getting late so I returned to the B&B and chilled out for the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)