Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Ride To Uzes

In the village on Saturdays, there is a small famers market. However Martin said if you really love food, you'd want to be in Uzes as there is a huge open air market and you'll find just about any kind of fresh food grown in the area. 

Uzes is a larger town 12 kms away from Vers Pont Du Gard. So equipped with only a little bike, I set off with vague directions. Martin tried explaining but there was no way I was going to remember. All I could recall was to keep following a track where there are small roadsigns signifying the bike path to Uzes. It was a trek but I was determined to do it.

And going by bike was one of the most satisfying things I've done. The track went through beautiful countryside where I passed wine yards, farms and cottages. There were no people or cars around, it was just me and a long hot tarmac track. I stopped along the way to take pics and soak up the tranquility.


I passed a wheat field and scattered through it were thousands of poppies.

I saw cherry trees. I had to turn back to take a pic of these. Cherries are awesome.

I was a sweaty mess by the time I arrived but I finally got to Uzes. Found a place to chain my bike and wondered on foot. It was a beautiful town with a castle on top. Lots of windy cobbestone alleyways and art boutiques. I really wish I could show you the lost photos I took with a camera. (These were all taken with my iphone.)

I stumbled upon a huge courtyard jam-packed with market stalls. And the stalls spilled out into other streets. They were selling everything from fresh produce, crafts, cheeses, soaps, meat, bread, charcuterie, handmade toys. This is what I adore about European markets. It's like a weekly celebration of artisans, farmers, craftsman and food lovers. 

The French turn their noses at buying food shipped in from afar. They support local growers and get rewarded with less processed and overall better food. And it's not expensive either. Oh how I would love to eat this food everyday.

On the way back to Vers Pont Du Gard, I stopped into the Haribo factory. And there was alot of candy for sale.
 

The ride back was more relaxed as I knew where I was going this time. I was proud for getting to Uzes and back on bike. To top things off I headed down to the Pont Du Gard afterwards to cool off in the river. What a joyous day!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)